de la terre Montepulciano 2016 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- Our Montepulciano is a full, rich, masculine style with broad mid-palate flesh and a carefully-managed balance between tannin, fruit and acidity. Generally speaking, we aim for what we call a “black fruit” style – reminiscent of black olive, dark red cherries. We intentionally work to diminish the more feminine floral/raspberry aroma spectra.
- Hand-picked grapes from low-yielding vines.
- Significant aeration during fermentation and skin contact to change the structure and soften the tannins.
- Aged for approximately 18 months in French barriques, approximately 40% new.
- Un-fined and unfiltered.
- Estate bottled and hand-labelled, individually hand-numbered, 1450 bottles produced.
A very deep, rich dark hue with massive intensity of colour. Savoury black olive and black cherry aromas supported by some toasty French Oak. A big structured mid-palate with heaps of depth. The mid-palate tannin ‘flesh’ is very much a feature of the style.
A dark, savoury and rich red.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
A very deep coloured wine with velvet textured tannins. The aromas are reminiscent to morning dew on warm slate which develops towards Eucalyptus and mint. The palate is rich, savoury and complex; smokey embers evolve into black olives and black fruit, especially cherries, then pomegranate, all harmonised by perfect acidity.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.