de la terre Montepulciano 2017 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- Our Montepulciano is a full, rich, masculine style with broad mid-palate flesh and a carefully-managed balance between tannin, fruit and acidity. Generally speaking, we aim for what we call a “black fruit” style – reminiscent of black olive, dark red cherries. We intentionally work to diminish the more feminine floral/raspberry aroma spectra.
- Hand-picked grapes from low-yielding vines.
- Significant aeration during fermentation and skin contact to change the structure and soften the tannins.
- Aged for approximately 18 months in French barriques, approximately 40% new.
- Un-fined and unfiltered.
- Estate bottled and hand-labelled, individually hand-numbered, very small production – 885 bottles produced.
A very deep, rich dark crimson hue with massive intensity of colour. Savoury black olive and black cherry aromas supported by some toasty French Oak. Already showing some marked secondary notes of leather and cigar-box alongside the black olive/black cherry spectrum. A big structured mid-palate with heaps of depth. The mid-palate tannin ‘flesh’ is very much a feature of the style.
A dark, savoury and rich red.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
A very small production of beautifully concentrated wine. The grapes were hand harvested from low yielding vines. Unfined and unfiltered leaving an ink like colour. Aromas of Liquorice, olives and tobacco. Fleshy texture with velvety tannins gives way to a savoury masculine wine boasting notes of cigar box, black cherries, olives and a toastiness from the 18 months in French oak. There is a hint of leather on the finish too. A wine you will not forget tasting!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.