de la terre Reserve Syrah 2016 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- A significant departure from the typical big, dark Hawke’s Bay Syrah styles (typically from the Gimblett Gravels and Ngatarawa Triangle areas), ours is often described as more of a Northern Rhone style – more feminine and ‘pretty’ rather than highly structured. A great Syrah style to match with food.
- Our Syrah vineyard is the highest elevation Syrah vineyard in Hawke’s Bay. This elevation, in combination with the limestone sub-soil we believe tips the wine style more toward the softer Northern Rhone direction.
- This terroir means the typical Syrah ‘pepper’ notes express in the wine more as white pepper than the (more normal) black pepper.
- Barrel aged for 18 months in French oak, approximately 40% new.
- Un-fined and unfiltered.
- Estate bottled, hand-labelled and individually hand-numbered, 1264 bottles produced.
Moderate colour depth with a range of berry aromas – especially blackberry with hints of blackberry flower. A ‘pretty’ nose with the French oak in a nice balance alongside the fruit. Some cigar-like complexities already starting to develop. A reasonably strong attack of fruit with gentle mid-palate tannins and a light seam of acidity. A long, clean finish.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
An elegant Northern Rhône style of Syrah picked by hand from the highest altitude vineyard in Hawkes Bay. The aromas are distinctly blackberry, yet behind that they are somewhat gamey with notes of dark chocolate and cloves. Tannins are well integrated and balanced by soft acidity which lead towards flavours of white pepper, blackberries and tobacco. The finish is long!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.