de la terre Reserve Syrah 2017 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- A significant departure from the typical big, dark Hawke’s Bay Syrah styles (typically from the Gimblett Gravels and Ngatarawa Triangle areas), ours is often described as more of a Northern Rhone style – more feminine and ‘pretty’ rather than highly structured. A great Syrah style to match with food.
- Our Syrah vineyard is the highest elevation Syrah vineyard in Hawke’s Bay. This elevation, in combination with the limestone sub-soil we believe tips the wine style more toward the softer Northern Rhone direction.
- This terroir means the typical Syrah ‘pepper’ notes express in the wine more as white pepper than the (more normal) black pepper.
- Barrel aged for 18 months in French oak, approximately 40% new.
- Un-fined and unfiltered.
- Estate bottled, hand-labelled and individually hand-numbered, very small production only 879 bottles produced.
Moderate colour depth with a range of berry aromas – especially blackberry with hints of blackberry flower. A ‘pretty’ nose with the French oak in a nice balance alongside the fruit. A reasonably strong attack of fruit with gentle mid-palate tannins and a light seam of acidity. A long, clean finish.
The wine will reward careful cellaring with the ongoing development of secondary characteristics of leather, tobacco and tar-like notes.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
A very small production of ‘Northern Rhône style’ Syrah. The grapes were hand selected and picked from the highest altitude vineyard in Hawkes Bay. A focused wine that is still youthful and will benefit from further aging. At this stage the wine has bountiful black fruit and spice with finely integrated tannins. Very elegant indeed!! It is totally drinkable now, but patience will reward the consumer with savoury tertiary flavours of truffle, Leather, game, tobacco and freshly turned earth.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.