de la terre Syrah 2017 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- A rich and dark ‘black fruit’ style of Syrah, moving away from overtly pretty and lifted top-note fruit and replacing it with black olive, black cherry and black pepper notes, truly reflecting the typical varietal characteristics of this grape.
- Ages for 18 months in mainly French barriques, approximately 20% new oak.
- Un-fined and unfiltered to retain maximum concentration and integrity and give more intensity and richness in the glass.
- Designed for medium to long aging.
- Estate bottled and hand labelled.
A vibrant blue/black hue of real intensity. Complex aromas of black olive, black cherry (with a hint of ‘cherry sours’) and dark pepper spice. Nuances of fine-grained French oak.
A strong backbone of ripe tannins holding together layers of dark and rich Syrah fruit and black pepper. The flavour is both long and persistent and highlights the impeccable balance between fruit, tannin and acidity.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
A fine example of the Syrah grape variety and shows great typicity with the classic black pepper notes complementing flavours of black berries. The balance in this wine is what strikes me most. Every aspect of the wines structure (body, flavour, tannin and acidity) is in perfect harmony. The ripe fine-grained tannins give way to black cherries, blackberries and Kalamata olives. The finish is long. This wine will age gracefully and should be a staple in all homes!
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.