de la terre Reserve Chardonnay 2016 NZ
Region: Hawke's Bay
Sub-region: Te Mata Special Character Zone, Havelock North
- A complex food-style Chardonnay suitable for bottle ageing, this wine is as much about texture and mouthfeel as it is about flavour and aroma. A wine designed to work with food – powerful and complex but not dominating the food.
- Hand- picked grapes from selected low-yielding vines.
- 100% barrel fermentation in French barriques (50% new).
- 50% malo lactic, managed to ensure the ‘butteriness’ is not too overt.
- Hyperoxidation of juice pre-fermentation, regular battonage.
- Total production 1648 bottles.
- Estate bottled and hand-labelled. Individually hand-numbered bottles.
A wonderful marriage of fruit, yeast and French oak with signature notes of minerality and a slight mealy complexity. A rich and powerful ‘attack’ followed by a luscious mid-palate and great length.
‘Balance’ is the key here – our aim is for harmony between the key elements – fruit, oak and complexity.
Texture, balance and elegance are the three cornerstones of de la terre’s winemaking – the Reserve Chardonnay 2016 clearly showcases this.
Secret Sommelier’s Comments
This wine should be on every restaurants’ list!! A super versatile food friendly Chardonnay. Very complex indeed. Its buttery, but not too buttery, its oaky but not too oaky. Very clever wine making to highlight its structure. This wine will keep developing for a long time. The temperature is of utmost importance. At 14 degrees C, layers of complexity can be enjoyed and each sip will surprise by offering fruit ranging from cantaloupe to citrus and then brown butter & nuttiness, then sweet spice from the oak all carried seamlessly by persistent acidity. The finish is long, a wine that leaves lasting impression.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.